NEW PAVILION PORTICO AT THE KIA OVAL COMPLETED
30th May 2013
The new Pavilion portico at The Kia Oval, home to Surrey County Cricket club, has just been completed. Designed by Hugh Petter, the new portico and public realm creates a significant new entrance to this famous cricket ground. The new portico forms part of a bold new entrance forecourt on the area previously occupied by turnstiles, concessions, and a banqueting suite that stood on the site of the original Surrey Tavern.
The Oval, owned by The Duchy of Cornwall, is the home of the Surrey Cricket Club. It is one of the oldest and most important cricket grounds in Britain. It is where the first "Ashes" test match was played in 1882 when England lost against Australia for the first time on their own soil.
A new grand double staircase leads up to a first floor terrace and the formal entrance into the Pavilion. The portico features column capitals modelled upon HRH The Prince of Wales's three ostrich feather badge, a version of which is also used by the Surrey Cricket Club. Hugh Petter worked with the architectural modeller Charles Gurrey to create a one-fifth scale maquette and then a full size section of the capital in clay.
Click here to read more about the project and view images.