REDEVELOPMENT OF THE OVAL CRICKET GROUND PAVILION AND FORECOURT
The new Pavilion portico at The Oval Cricket Ground has transformed the entrance and forecourt area, previously occupied by turnstiles and concessions. At the front, the Hobbs Gate designed by Louis de Siossons have been placed on the axis with the new portico. The portico features column capitals modelled upon the Prince of Wales's three feather badge, to symbolise the new formal entrance to the home of Surrey Cricket Club which shares the royal three feather badge. Urns surmount the gate piers, their design is based on the design of that which holds the ashes of the bails that were burned at the end of the fateful 1882 match. Further models of this urn appear on the railing on either side (which double up on match days as additional gates) and on top of the main portico.
The Oval is one of the oldest and most important cricket grounds in Britain. It is where the first "Ashes" test match was played in 1882 when England lost against Australia for the first time on their own soil. The new pavilion portico is a long overdue transformation that provides a superb new main entrance worthy of this world famous ground.
Received a Georgian Group Architectural Awards 2013 Commendation in the category of New Building in the Classical Tradition.
Designed by Hugh Petter