Manor house alterations & restoration, Hampshire
As well as comprehensive repairs, the new work to this large manor house involved the demolition of an Edwardian billiard room and its replacement with a new dining room. The new dining room is built in Portland stone articulated by pilaster strips with incised decoration. The interior is top-lit by an octagonal lantern supported by a shallow pendentive dome, with thin strips of amber-coloured glass adding to the Regency character of the room. The internal details, including the fireplace, plasterwork and panelling, were inspired by W.F. Pocock’s treatise ‘Modern Finishings for Rooms’ published in 1811.
Designed by George Saumarez Smith