William Wake House, St Andrew’s Healthcare, Northampton
William Wake House is a 20,000 plus square metre (18,581m sq) purpose-built hospital unit for St Andrew's Healthcare, thought to be the largest classical new building in Britain for over 50 years. It has been designed with health-building experts, Oxford Architects, to include courtyards and internal spaces, and provides facilities which aid treatment and rehabilitation while offering an appropriate level of safety and security. The outer form and façade of the building is in keeping with the original hospital buildings, designed by George Wallet in 1835. The 170 metre long principal elevations are broken up into a series of individual pavilions reflecting the organisation of the internal plan. The external walls are in stucco and stone with a slate roof. Interior courtyards are designed with simplified classical detailing in two colours of brick.
Commissioned by St. Andrew’s Healthcare
Designed by Robert Adam
Consultant Architect Oxford Architects
Completed in 2010